What is SignVideo?
SignVideo is a free service for deaf clients who use British Sign Language (BSL). You can use it to make a call to our veterinary practices and during a face to face appointment. This is done via video call with a SignVideo BSL interpreter.
To access the service you will need to have access to your own smartphone, laptop, PC or tablet with its own data.
The service is available in all CVS practices in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland:
- 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holiday
Please note that the SignVideo service operating hours may not cover all practice opening hours. Clients can check the opening hours on the practice website.
Every effort will be made to answer video calls quickly, if there is simultaneous demand, there may be a waiting time.
MiNightVet – Emergency out of hours service
SignVideo is available in all MiNightVet sites (excluding Northern and Southern Ireland):
- Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm
- Weekends: Saturday 1pm – Monday 8am
- Bank Holidays 24 hours
Equipment required and technical help
If you experience technical difficulties accessing SignVideo, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To use the SignVideo service, clients will need to check they meet the minimum system requirements:
- A PC or MAC with webcam.
- Browsers: Chrome (PC and Mac), Firefox (PC and Mac), Mac Safari 11, iOS11 Safari and Android 4.0 upwards.
- Bandwidth minimum 512kbps, recommended 1 mbps upload for HD Video, maximum 1.5 mbsp.
Note: SignVideo is a free service when connected to Wi-Fi. If the client uses 3G, 4G or a data service, it will be part of their data cost
How to use the service
How to contact the practice from home
Simply click on our practice SignVideo link on our Contact us page.
You will connect to the SignVideo service and a live BSL interpreter. You can sign to the interpreter your reason for ringing the practice and the interpreter will make the call for you. The interpreter will speak to the practice receptionist and sign the receptionist’s responses to you, via the live video link, and pass on your responses and questions to the receptionist.
How to use the service in practice
On arrival, deaf clients can indicate to the receptionist that they wish to use this service. The client can use the SignVideo App on their device to connect to a live BSL interpreter and switch the loudspeaker on.
The client will sign the purpose of their visit to the interpreter who will then speak to the receptionist. The interpreter will sign back the receptionist’s responses. If required, this two-way communication channel can be used in the consultation room too.
Know someone who would benefit from this services? Find more practices across the UK
Our Healthy Pet Club small animal veterinary practices offer this service. You can find a list of all the practices by logging on to the Find a Practice page on the Healthy Pet Club website.
- Small Animal Veterinary Practices (dogs, cats, rabbits etc)
Click on the link to call the specific practice. All veterinary practices have SignVideo practice links on the Contact us page of their website.
- Our Horse Health Programme equine practices also offer this service:
All veterinary practices have SignVideo practice links on the Contact us page of their website.
- Referral Hospitals
The service is available at our group of referral hospitals should your vet refer.
- SignVideo and Healthy Pet Club and Horse Health Programme
Deaf clients do not need to be a member of The Healthy Pet Club (HPC) or Horse Health Programme (HHP) to access the free SignVideo service. If a client would like to learn more about HPC or HHP or if you are a member already, you can contact the The Healthy Pet Club / Horse Health Programme contact centre using the SignVideo link on our Contact us.
SignVideo service terms
By opting to use the SignVideo service, your use of it (“Service User”, “you”) will be deemed to have agreed to the following. You may access the service if you have diagnosed hearing loss, can communicate in British Sign Language (“BSL”) and have access to a mobile device/computer with wireless internet access. In some circumstances, you may be able to use a mobile data connection, however any such data use will be at your own cost. Use of the service in CVS veterinary practices is solely for communicating with the CVS Veterinary Practice (“Practice”) and in relation to an animal owned or cared for by you. You must be registered with the CVS Practice or, if a new client you may access the service to book an initial appointment and/ or for the purpose of registration with the Practice. You can access the service in one of the following ways;
- Download an App to access the service – signvideo.co.uk/downloads
- Click directly on the practice link in the practice finder. A list of small animal CVS veterinary practices can be found at: thehealthypetclub.co.uk/find-a-practice. A list of CVS equine veterinary practices can be found at: horsehealthprogramme.co.uk/find-a-practice
- Click on the link from your CVS veterinary practice website deaf BLS service page to access the service.
The following terms will apply to the use by you of the service:
- The SignVideo Service enables a Service User to access a video service arranged by CVS to speak to a CVS veterinary Practice.
- The SignVideo service is operated by Significant UK Ltd (SVCC) (The Service Provider), St Agnes House, 6 Cresswell Park, Blackheath, London SE3 9RD on behalf of CVS (UK) Limited, CVS House, Owen Road, Diss, Norfolk IP22 4ER and veterinary practices in the CVS group.
- There is no cost to you for the SignVideo service, however you must have access to Wi-Fi or data bundle via computer/tablet/phone in the home and data enabled device/phone in the Practice.
The service will operate in the United Kingdom veterinary practices between the hours of 8am – 6pm Monday – Friday except for published England and Wales Bank Holidays.
- SignVideo is an on–demand service, which is not pre-bookable. Should there be a need for a specific appointment on a predetermined date and time within the hours above, the Service User may pre-book calls to by contacting email@example.com and give full details. Pre-bookings are not guaranteed and may not be available.
- SignVideo is an on-demand service and whilst every effort will be made to answer video calls quickly, if there is simultaneous demand, there may be a waiting time.
- You must have access to your own device/computer and Wi-Fi/data to access the SignVideo service to book or attend an appointment and you must have a knowledge of BSL. You will need to bring your device with you to the Practice.
- If you do not have a smart phone with access to internet data, the Practice may be able to assist. However, ensure you contact them in advance.
- You will be deemed to consent to your name, address and any details necessary to access the service being given to SignVideo as a data processor. SignVideo does not store any personal information whatsoever in the SignVideo contact centre and has confirmed to CVS that it is compliant with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and The General Data Protection Regulation. However if you have any concerns you may contact the CVS Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you experience technical difficulties accessing SignVideo, please contact email@example.com.
- Whilst we make every effort to provide the SignVideo service, should you be unhappy with the SignVideo service, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whilst every effort will be made by CVS to ensure a trouble-free use of the service, CVS shall not be responsible for any difficulties in communication between you and SignVideo or any miscommunications through the use of the service, save where such are due to the negligence of CVS and its employees.